Monday, December 03, 2007

Traditions

I was reading my devotion the other day and it mentioned that when you get married and have a family of your own, it's important to start your own traditions. I was wondering: What are some traditions that you all have begun in your home?


For us, it's important for the kids to put the Angel on top of the tree. Mike lifts Loren (and Zach) up and they put the Angel up on top.

We always have to be home for Christmas. . .wherever home happens to be!
Mike buys me strawberry shampoo for my stocking (There has never been a Christmas where I haven't got Strawberry Shampoo in my stocking. Mike surprised me our first Christmas together by remembering!!!)
The kids open one gift Christmas Eve.
We watch It's a Wonderful Life every Christmas Eve (again, there has never been a Christmas Eve where I haven't watched it.)
This year I am starting a new tradition where Loren and I will make Sugar Cookies together and decorate them. I already have the dough made and in the refrigerator for when she wakes from her nap.
Anyway, enough rambling! I just heard Zach start fussing. Let me know what traditions you have (or hope to have)! I love reading about them!

5 comments:

Janna said...

I love holiday traditions! We always get the boys Christmas pajamas as a present. They are allowed to open at least the pajamas on Christmas Eve so they can wear them for opening stockings on Christmas morning.

I'm also trying my hardest to get an ornament for each of the kids each year. The plan is to keep these ornaments in boxes for each of the kids so that some day when they grow up and hopefully have a family of their own, then they have a whole box of ornaments from their childhood. I hope (common theme word I guess) that the kids will enjoy looking through the box each Christmas and remembering the Christmas' that they had when they were kids.

Oh, and I love to do cut-out cookies, too. Ethan loves to frost them and Micah has already figured out that the dough is delicious. :)

There's a taste of the traditions at our house.

Keith and Kathryn said...

We're still making our own traditions, but it's fun to think about the ones that we've already established. We do the pajama thing, too. We do an advent wreath and I'm hoping to start a Jesse tree this year. Most years, Christmas music and decorations start the day after Thanksgiving, but I'm behind this year! We also have a birthday cake for Jesus. The last couple of years, we've had a birthday party with the kids' friends before Christmas. We go to the Christmas Eve service at church and usually travel on Christmas Day to be with family. I love the ornament idea, too. Maybe I'll have to start that one! I'm sure we will have more as the years go on. I love this time of year!!

Rozema Family said...

We do the ornament thing too! This year Zach will get his "first Christmas" one (obviously). Loren is getting a "tigger in the box" ornament.

Kaki, what's a jesse tree??

Erin said...

I'm not Kathryn, but I do know about a Jesse tree. They're really neat! We've started using one at the church with out kids. It's sort of like an Advent tree. Here's a link for some good info:

http://www.crivoice.org/jesse.html

Ferris Family said...

we put the tree up and decorate it as a family
we are home every Christmas morning
The boys get new jammies Christmas Eve to wear for the drive home
We do ornaments every yr too
I'm hoping to start baking with the boys, they daren't too excited about it...
Christmas morning isn't Christmas morning without pancakes or waffles