Wednesday, September 12, 2007

ER

I finally called the doctor last night at 10:30 pm. I told him I was having contractions all day and that they were lower abdominal and really hurt like the dickens. I was just calling to see if I should get an appointment for tomorrow and he was like, "YOU SHOULD HAVE CALLED EARLIER!" He had me go into the ER right away to find out what the contractions looked like and if they were progressing me.

I was so frustrated. I KNEW I didn't need to go into the ER. Everyone kept saying, "Better to be safe than sorry," but I have in the back of my head, "There are real emergencies here, I'm not one of them!" Anyway, I got in and they were like, "Here sit in the wheelchair," and I was being stubborn and obstinate (knowing I didn't need to be there) and refused to ride the in the stupid thing.

I got up to Maternal Monitoring and they started the whole deal. We find out that I am severely dehydrated. I didn't get it! I had been chugging water all day fighting this cold and trying to get the contractions to stop. They said that they need numbers to be 2.5 and mine were 0.3. I have no idea what "the numbers" are but it didn't sound good to me. So they put me on two bags of fluid with junk in it (one of the "ingredients" was sugar and baby LOVED that!) and had me drink 68 oz of water. Needless to say I had to PEEEEEE! But the contractions stopped and I was able to come home at 3:30 am. The contractions hadn't progressed me at all. They said that it was nothing short of a miracle looking at the type and duration of the contractions I was having.

Anyway, I guess it was good that we went in. I am thankful my parents are back in town and someone could watch Loren for us. DAD I OWE YOU HUGE!

3 comments:

Janna said...

Though I can understand your stubbornness, I'm SOOOO glad you went to the ER. Crazy how your body can be dehydrated even while you're drinking. I'm so thankful for medical technology! Glad to hear you're home and that contractions stopped. Maybe you should drink KoolAid instead of water since the baby seems to like sugar water! :)

DeMaster Family said...

Glad to hear everything is OK! Did they tell you how to prevent it from happening again? I can understand not wanting to ride in the wheelchair. I may be doubled over by a contraction but I do NOT need a wheelchair!:)

Keith and Kathryn said...

As the mama of two preemies, I'm putting my foot down! I don't care that you're stubborn, I'm more stubborn and I'll call you every day if I have to! :p Repeat after me..."I will call the doctor if I have anymore regular contractions!" Once 37 weeks hits, you can be as stubborn as you want. Until then, put your feet up, drink some water, stick Mike on toddler duty and for the love of everything holy...call the doctor when you have contractions!!

Did I do a good enough job of nagging or should I keep going? ;)