Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Back into a routine

Loren has had 7 weeks "off" from ummmm. . .how do we say this. . . tough mommy love/rules. She has got in a horrible habit of flinging her food, throwing toys, talking back and disobeying. Gotta stop! Momma won't handle that! She is such a good girl but all to ready and willing to "rule the roost." She needs to realize that she may be "princess" but Momma is "queen!"

Any ideas. . .

Now for those of you experienced "potty trainers," any tips? I have no idea how to do this :)

5 comments:

Janna said...

I hate potty-training. Stacy asked me for advice and all I could come up with was "I'm sorry, it sucks...a lot". There is NOTHING you can do to force your child go to the bathroom on the toilet. I did a LOT of bribing, and finally got over the last hurdle by giving up nap time so Ethan wouldn't do his #2 in the diaper while it was on for his nap. Still wondering if that was the best "deal" I could have made with him. :) Ethan actually did the best when Micah was born and we got off his case about using the toilet. Suddenly when it was HIS idea to use the toilet, then it was a good idea.

Keith and Kathryn said...

I don't know that I can give lots of PT advice since mine aren't totally trained yet. My strategy has been to take it very sloooowly. I frequently suggest that they sit on the potty, but if they don't want to that's fine. When they actually do something on the potty, it is usually an accident, but we make a big huge deal over it. The best advice I've been given is to remember that they are still young (which makes Loren still very early to PT) so I shouldn't fret if it takes a while. If they are still in diapers when they turn three, I'll start pushing it more.

Ferris Family said...

For potty training, find something she really enjoys and use it as a reward. For Coop, it was playing soccer. For Nelson, it was Superman underwear. Be consistant! Once you start with pull-ups don't go back to diapers.
As far as princess vs. queen... Pick a couple absolutes in the house and stick to those. Too many rules can be overwhelming. Pick your battles, and again be consistant.

Jonathon and Katie said...

I, personally, know NOTHING about potty training, but a friend of mine trained both her kids the same way: she let them run around all day naked in the back yard so they pissed and pooped all over themselves and learned to hate it. Side note: she lives on about 15 acres with no neighbors peeking over the fence and calling Child Protective Services. I'm sure there was more to this story but at the time I didn't know what questions to ask.

DeMaster Family said...

Potty-training- that word makes me cringe. Here's some tips, but mine is not "accident free" yet, so my input may not mean much.:)First we gave him an M&M just for sitting-2 if he peed, etc. We soon dropped the one for sitting b/c he would sit then go after he got up. We also did a big "no more diapers" and put him in underwear all the time. However, you'll have lots of messes to clean, not fun. You also have to be willing to stay home for a couple days and get nothing done. Another friend set her timer and had the kids sit every 30 minutes. If you find out L isn't ready, just try again in a couple months. I understand the desire to have the oldest out of diapers before the next one comes.:)