I've now slept during Loren's nap for the last 3 days. I'm so pooped that I can barely make it until her nap time.
Is this kid sucking every last ounce of energy out of me?
I don't remember being this tired with Loren.
Now, PROPS! Erin (Sher-Bear's BFF) gave up her recipe for the BEST Gooey Butter Cake EVER! I made it today and YOW-ZERS! It's so amazing . . . . St. Louis Chefs are KNOWN for making the best "Oops Recipes" known to man. . .Toasted Ravioli and Gooey Butter cake!
(In late 1942 or early 1943, Johnny Hoffman of St. Louis Pastries Bakery was working on a Saturday and made what eventually turned out to be Gooey Butter Cake. It was a mistake! He subsequently called Herman Danzer, my dad, and told him he thought he may have something and asked to come to my dad's shop on Spring & Gravois to see if they could duplicate it. They worked all Saturday, and through many trials and errors got it pretty good. The final batch they made, my dad suggested they add glycerin to get it really gooey. It worked - whereupon my mom, Melba Danzer, came into the shop from the store to see what these two guys were doing. When she tried it she said "this sure is gooey" subsequently, the name.)
Here's the Recipe
Gooey Butter Cake with Drunken Berries
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup butter
1 (18.5 ounce) package yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar
DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease one 9x13 inch cake pan or several (about 8) creme' brulee' cups for individual servings.
2. Melt the butter or margarine. Stir melted butter or margarine along with 1 egg into the cake mix. Press into prepared cake pan.
3. In a large bowl mix cream cheese, vanilla, confectioner's sugar, and the remaining 2 eggs beat for 3 minutes with an electric mixer set on medium high speed. Spread over top of cake mixture.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes (a little less for individual cakes) and until browned on top. Allow cake to cool before cutting.5. Top with drunken berries (see below) just before serving.
DRUNKEN BERRIES:
Three types of berries (I use blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries), about 2-3 cups
A few fresh mint springs
A dash of sugar
About 1/2 cup Amaretto liqeuer
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and allow to sit in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Stir occasionally to ensure all berries absorb the flavors.
2 comments:
I think you're probably more tired this time because you have a child to chase on top of being pregnant.
As far as the cake goes, you had me at "drunken berries". :)
I had gooey cake for the first time a couple months ago at a restaurant. It was really sweet and very good. I'll have to try this recipe...the drunken berries are intriguing.
Post a Comment