Friday, December 05, 2008

Do your kids believe in Santa?

What is the reason you have chosen to believe or not?

Just curious as to the reasons :)!

My kids do/will. . .

I'll never forget when some crummy kid came in and told our entire Kindergarten class that there was no Santa. . .

I always told my First Graders that some families invited Santa in and some parents wanted to do it themselves. I didn't think it was fair for the ones who didn't believe to ruin the fun for the kids who did. . .right or wrong? I don't know :) It was the best my mentor and I could come up with at the time :)!

Anyway, I don't want this to start a Santa War, I am just curious as to what my friends and family are doing and why :).

5 comments:

Beth said...

No Santa here. We still have fun w/ Santa--read bks w/ santa in them, sit on his lap at the mall, that kind of thing. But we don't plan on teaching our kids that Santa is real. Reason: He's not real. We don't want him to become the focus. We want credit for the thoughtful, creative gifts we buy/make :) A part of me thinks--if I tell my kids santa is real and then they find out he's not...will they believe me when I tell them that Jesus is real? Just my/our thoughts.

Janna said...

At our house we treat Santa as a fun part of our imagination. We talk about Santa, read about Santa, but we also usually end up talking about how mom and dad are the ones that put the presents in the stockings and the toys under the tree. Santa at our house is treated more like someone who wants to give, but remain anonymous in their giving. My example of this is last year a box arrived on our door, shipped "directly" from Santa. We had a tight budget for Christmas last year, so our friends and family knew we were not doing much in the line of presents for out kids. "Santa" was someone near and dear to our family (who has remained anonymous, though we have our suspects) who wanted to bless us without identifying who they were. So, we told the kids the box came from the North Pole. I saved the shipping label and the note from the box to show the kids someday when they are older. I want to explain to them how "someone" blessed us and cared for us...and although it was done under the name Santa, it was real people that love us.

Keith and Kathryn said...

Ah, the big question! :) Santa is in our house just like Dora and Elmo. They are fun to read about, see on TV, and whatnot, but we don't tell them he is real. He's just another pretend character. We have lots of reasons, but the main ones are that we want to be truthful in all that we say and we don't want the focus to be on what gifts the kids are getting on Christmas. We do give gifts, but that is secondary.

With that said, we will do our best to keep our kids from being "that kid" that spills the beans. Their cousins will all believe in Santa, so we have to be careful. We will not ask them to lie, but will explain that it is a fun game and the parents are pretending to be Santa and we dont want to spoil the fun of their make-believe. Then if they want to pretend that Santa comes to our house, I have know problem with it because we all know that we are pretending.

Ben and Erin said...

We believe in Santa 100 % at the Essenburg home. It's a fun part of growing up and makes Christmas extra special. We will keep the focus on Jesus' birth of course, but Santa is something we grew up with and want to continue the fun for Clare and other kids we have. :) That's us!

The DeVries' said...

Good question! I still remember finding out that Santa wasn't real, and being really upset too! We will definitely be Santa believers in the DeVries' household for as long as they choose to believe! :) Of course, we'll focus on the birth of Jesus, but I'm a big believer in those magical characters as you grow up. It makes childhood so much more exciting than spoiling all of the surprises. Kids have to deal with so much more these days than ever before, and keeping some of that childhood "magic" seems like a treat to me. I'm also someone who completely believes that there's nothing wrong with Harry Potter too :) Hello?!?! Haven't you read the Chronicles of Narnia?? Santa's going to be a fun tradition here!!!