Thursday, January 03, 2008

That's One Way to Get My Minivan

Mike, the kids and I were in a BAD accident on way home from Michigan. We were on Highway 17 between Highway 65 and 57. WE had just left Lisa Bearss's house and were outside Kankakee. Mike was driving. We were going 35 miles per hour. We were ticked because we were stuck behind this slow semi. Anyway, Mike was driving 10 and 2, he had no radio on, the kids were silent. . .all the sudden we were sideways in on-coming traffic. A mini-van hit us on Zachary's side. I saw it coming and I tried to turn around and protect Zach. Once we were hit I jumped out and tried to get Zach out. His door was impossible to open. I was able to climb back in my side and jump in the back between him and Loren. Mike was taking care of Loren who was crying and had bit her tongue pretty bad. She seemed fine from the off. Zach however was scaring the heck out of me. He was giving this whimper cry. I didn't dare pull him out though. Just in case he was really hurt. It happened that an off-duty fireman came over. He checked out Zach and told me he was okay to pull out. I don't think I've ever been so upset. Loren was so scared. Zach was just pissed that he was woke up. After I was able to get Zach in my arms I was able to assess myself. I was pretty sure I had broke my leg (it isn't). I hurt so badly. Also, my neck and chest hurt badly. The paramedics came over and took Zach out of my arms. That just made me SICK. They took Loren and Mike with him. They kept yelling at me not to move my neck but I kept thinking, "Loren needs her Elmo, Zach needs diapers, Where are the wallets, I need his bottles. . ." I wasn't about to stop Mommy mode until the kiddos were taken care of. They kept asking me how in the WORLD I got myself out of the car in the first place. Finally they were able to get me out with the Jaws of life. They strapped me to a board and took me in a different ambulance than the kids. I just started FREAKING OUT. I would not let them do anything until I heard how my kids were. My O2 stats were so low and I was in shock. Once they got me calmed down they took me into the hospital and got Zach a CAT scan. He was perfectly fine. Just very fussy. Loren was amazing for being 2!! :) I had to have a lot of X-Rays and CAT scans. They thought I had cracked a Vertebrate. So they admitted me and gave me a morphine drip. I was in so much pain and was so frustrated that I couldn't help Mike with the kids. Of course, Mom and Dad Johnson and Rozema came. We were exactly between Byron Center and St. Louis. They arrived within 20 minutes of each other. Mike took the kids to a hotel and Mom and Dad R. took care of the kids while Mom J. took care of me. Josh, Kelly and Kris came too. I had to have an MRI - THAT REALLY SUCKED! I was taken off of my Morphine drip and I started getting really sick. They gave me the wrong size neck brace and it was digging into my very bruised chest. So I started throwing up. Luckily they didn't find anything! I was discharged with some Percacet (Sp??). Mom and dad took Kris, Mike, the kids and I home. Bob and Bon took a lot of our stuff up north. You ready for the amazing part. . .not too much was broken!!! Not even the Christmas China Bonnie bought me.

So, in all, the car is totalled and I am the only one hurt! God was with us! I do have a picture to upload at some point. You guys won't believe my son came out without a scratch! Anyway, it really sucks. There was nothing Mike could do! Thank you God for protecting my husband and most importantly my children.

I'm so sorry if this post is a bit incoherent but I'm on a lot of meds for my pain.

5 comments:

Beth said...

I'm so glad you're okay. I have goosebumps all over. I know first hand how terrifying it is to see those you love involved in an accident and how it feels not to know if they're okay. I'm just stunned. Thank God for your safety and your supportive family.

Janna said...

I'm saying a prayer of thanks right now. I can only imagine what was going through your mind! I can picture the paramedics trying to keep "mama bear" from her "cubs". Thank God for family support and for medical technology. I'm so thankful that everyone is OK and that your injuries were not more severe. I hope your recovery goes quickly so you can get back to being the "mama bear" that you want to be!

Lisa said...

We are so thankful that you and the family are okay! Praying for a quick recovery for you!

The DeVries' said...

Kimberly,

What a scary, scary incident! I cannot imagine that...it's truly in those moments that you know God is the only one that keeps you alive and able to survive. Wow, I am so glad that everyone is okay. PLEASE let me know if I can do anything to help you out with your kids, dinners, anything. I am more than happy to help. I hope you are able to recover and not worry about any of the thousand logistics that inevitably come with something so horrific! Praise God you are okay...hurt, but okay. Love, Jen

Ferris Family said...

I'm so glad you are all okay. Thanks for popping in today, I'm glad we could see you and I could hug you, gentley!