My list of stuff I have to get keeps growing exponentially compared to what I can actually get done in a day. I mean just staying on top of ALL of the laundry and dishes is almost ENOUGH in one day! Moms of 1+ kids, how do you do it? How do you find the time to get everything done and still be a good mom?
4 comments:
I'm learning I can't do it all simultaneously. Like today was a "good Mom" day. The boys and I slept in, went to the children's museum and just hung out. Needless to say, nothing is getting done around the house today. Tomorrow will be catch up on house stuff and Caleb will have to play by himself more. Give and take I guess.
I second what Stacy had to say. If I'm getting a ton done around the house, then I'm not playing with my boys. If I'm playing with the boys, I'm not getting anything done. However, Ethan is getting to the point where he'll help me if I make a cleaning task "fun", so sometimes I'll give him a rag and a bucket of water and let him help me clean the bathroom (hey-the floor at least gets a good mopping!). He also likes to use the toilet bowl cleaner, so I squirt the stuff in and let him go...he usually spends more time cleaning it than I do! :)
I also decided to make a new "20-minute rule" around my house. The verdict is still out on whether it's helpful or not, but we put the boys to bed and Jason and I both put in 20 minutes of work in an area of the house that needs it (I'm almost caught up with my ironing!). I don't think Jason's a fan of my new rule, but it was an easy way to get everyone to help. :) I figure 20 minutes from both of us a couple of times a week makes a big difference!
Keep in mind that I am getting more sleep than you at night though, so it's getting easier to get things done (and I'm not nursing!),
Get everything done?? Are you kidding?? ;) I've given up on my house looking like it did before having kids. It's just not going to happen. I figure this is just a season in life. Eventually, I'll be able to put more time and effort into keeping a clean house. Until then, being a mommy is my priority. With that in mind, here are a couple of practical suggestions that have worked for me. You have to find what works for you, though!
1. Do one complete load of laundry every day (wash, dry, fold, put away).
2. Make the best of nap and meal times. We always eat dinner together, but breakfast and lunch end up being more casual. I use the time when they are contained in the highchairs to straighten up the kitchen and load the dishwasher. Naptimes are great for getting things done...BUT if I need to rest, that takes priority.
3. A little TV never killed a toddler. :)
4. Put on the "mommy blinders" and just enjoy the kiddos. Your babies won't be babies forever, but there will always be housework.
I don't know how they do it either. Not sure I want to find out either. LOL--JK. Someday, but not any day soon. Just don't forget to give yourself a break--you have two small children and a husband--okay three small kids :) Just give any of us a call when you're feeling overwhelmed and we'll tell you how dirty our houses are too! My basement would make a pretty good picture right now. Ugh! Not thinking about it b/c I'm giving myself a break--I cleaned up some yesterday! BTW, the tree is up along w/ all of the other decorations!
Post a Comment