Sunday, October 21, 2007

Zachary Dean Rozema

As most of you know we had Zachary Dean Rozema Thursday October 18th at 6:54 pm. We were admitted to the hospital on Wednesday at 10:00 pm. I was given Cervidil at 11:00. I was still slightly effaced and 3 cm. At 1:00 am I was allowed to have my first meal since early that morning. It was one of the best dang meals I ever ate! I was so hungry! I was given a sleeping pill because I was so excited and couldn't sleep! The next day the doctor came in early and started my pitocin drip. I was given my epidural and then the doctor broke my water. I labored all day and about 5:30 my epidural quit working. I was 7 cm and fully effaced. The nurse called the anaesthesiologist because I was in so much pain. I felt better very quickly but at that point I quickly went to a 10 and was ready to push. The doctor was rather upset that I was given a boost in my epidural but I was in too much pain and the nurse made a good call (in my opinion). It was humerus because I couldn't get my legs up to push at all. In fact, I couldn't even wiggle my hips around to get them even. Mike had to literally shove me! It was time to push. In one push I had the baby down in the birth canal! Then they told me to "hang out" and wait for the doctor. Are you kidding me??? The baby was in my canal NUZZLING me! I was just crying because I could feel myself tearing. All of the sudden the baby's heart-rate dropped from 130 down to 90. Then they lost the heart rate. The resident looked at me and said, "It's time to have this baby now. One push get him out!" On my next contraction I pushed and they wouldn't let me stop. As I pushed she started cutting me, "Sorry honey, I have to do this." I got him out as the doctor walked in the room. Mike said in a very stunned voice, "It's a boy? IT'S A BOY!!!!" I got to hold Zach 2 minutes before they whisked him away. They immediately called the NICU. The doctor came up and had to work on Zach for 1 hour. He said that Zach didn't have enough time being squeezed in the birth canal to get all of that gunk out of his lungs. So after 1 hour he went to the NICU for assessment. They sent him back to me and then up to recovery. So after 2 hours I finally got to hold him! I got to try nursing before they sent me up to recovery. He latched on right away and began sucking immediately! The gross thing is that they were so worried about Zach that they didn't get me cleaned up from labor until 2 hours later. Ugh! Zach was 9lbs 6oz and 21 3/4 inches long. Not only was he heavy he was tall!





Very ready to give birth!




Perfection!



Big Sister Loren loved Zach!

11 comments:

Suzanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jonathon and Katie said...

Yea!!!!! Welcome, Zachary! You're almost as cute as Erich. Ha ha. He's so beautiful. Congratulations!

Beth said...

Oooohh! What a cutie. I've been checking your blog religiously for the official story. I'm sorry to hear about the scariness! Glad everything is okay. Have fun sitting on those icepacks. Congrats!!

DeMaster Family said...

What an experience! He is very adorable. Keep the pictures coming!

Ben and Erin said...

Congrats Kim and family! What a blessing that he is here and healthy. He is a cutie!! :) I'm sure you're thrilled he's a little boy too....so fun! I'm enjoying keeping up with you on the blog. You are a blessed woman! Take care and get some rest when you can! :)

Ferris Family said...

Such a cute pair! Thanks for the great pictures.

Suzanne said...

Hey there! I must've been trying to check your blog as you were still working on it, because all I saw last night when I checked was Zachary's name...nothing else. Hence the first comment here! ;)

He's gorgeous. Congratulations!! Glad to hear that all is well in the end. That had to be pretty unsettling...

Can't wait to meet your kiddos!!

Janna said...

I'm so glad you were able to post so quickly. I'm happy to hear that everything turned out well after the initial heartrate scare. I don't think doctors always remember what it's like to be in labor. "Don't push". Are you kidding me? They told me to wait to push with Micah so the NICU could have time to arrive. I was like "yeah right, my body's doing it naturally".

You have great pictures of Zach and Loren. I hope you are able to keep them coming!

Erin said...

yay! What a cutie! I look forward to meeting him sometime this fall.

The DeVries' said...

Wow...another little Rozema! Wonder who he will take after! :) Loved reading your gorey details; I would expect nothing less from you Kim! I am so excited and happy for you both to have a healthy family of 4! Enjoy this precious time together and let us know when you're ready for company!

Love, Jen and Ryan

Lance and Heather said...

Hello, we are friends with Ben and Erin and we’ve started a new website (www.popularbabyproducts.com). Check it out. If you like it, we would love for you to post it as a permanent link on your blog so that others can view it as well. Thanks so much, Lance and Heather