WHAT? Oh no!
I went to pick Loren up from Mom's Day Out and I asked how she was doing. The teacher said, "She's becoming increasingly agressive." I was so shocked and taken aback that I didn't ask what she was doing in particular (duh). I did ask what I could work on at home with her and she says, "It's her age . . . they go in a 6 month cycle." What the heck?
I really don't know how I feel about this. I mean I know she tends to want her way. I know that I'm trying to teach her to play nicely. Like she will take a toy away from Zach and I will make her give him a new one. She just doesnt' seem to get it. She will scream, "I want that one! I want that!" So I can only imagine how she is when there is not a mediator. I know she hits in frustration (again, working on it at home). Gosh, I don't know what to do. I'm just shocked and disappointed with her behavior at school. Maybe I am being too weird about this.
The other thing is. . .well, she's tall. She is the height of the average 3 and a half year old (according to the stats, I mean seriously). She also has a vocabulary of the average 3 year old. So people expect her to act like a 3 year old. What do I do???? Keep reminding them, she's ONLY 27 months old or do I continue to allow people to expect more of her? Make her grow up before she's ready??
Thoughts?
4 comments:
I know you don't want to hear it, but it is an age thing. No 2 yr old wants to share. Heck I'm 30 and suck at sharing. With my boys, when they would take toys, even at 2, I would put them in time out, I had a zero tollerance for a while. They had to learn what was acceptable and what wasn't when playing. Do not make her grow up before she's ready, that will do more damage than good. Just remind yourself and others that she is only 2.
I would say don't worry about age. It seems clear that you don't think hitting is acceptable whether she is two or three. You know that this is "normal" for her age, so you don't have to worry that she has larger issue that needs to be addressed. Other than that, I would not worry too much about her appearing to be older. I don't even know what good it does to remind people that she is only two. That would just seem like you are making excuses, which we know you are not because you are working on the hitting at home. I would just keep working on it and pray that this will pass. It may have something to do with the new baby. Andrew started getting more aggressive (he's normally my sweet snuggly one) a few months after Isaiah came home. What has helped the most is giving him as much one-on-one time as possible, even if it is taking him to the store with me while the others stay with Keith at home. A book that has really helped me recently is "How to really love your children". The author's last name is Campbell. I can't remember his first name, but you can probably find it. It's a quick read, which is good for moms! :)
You're doing a great job. Just keep going and pray, pray, pray! :)
I'm glad you're going through this mommy stuff before me... one of these days I'll call you up on the phone and ask you how you got though certain times, I just know it! :) 2 years is a little different than 7 months right now, but... be waiting friend, be waiting. :)
I wouldn't worry about the behavior. Like you said, you are working on it and it sounds like the teacher knows it is normal. I understand the dilemma of having a child who is big for their age. I think people do expect more of them, but you just have to ignore their comments or correct them on her age if necessary.
Post a Comment