Thursday, March 06, 2008

Contest Entry

In thinking about what to enter in this contest I was taken backthrough my many, many (and my husband would add another "many") visits toBabymoon Boutique. I remember first finding Babymoon when we moved here in May. I was soexcited to get in there because I was at the time 4 months pregnant with myson. A pregnancy that I was told would never happen. I did an illegal,all-be-it necessary, u-turn on highway 94 to get there. I remember walking in and immediately seeing the quaint little room at the back of the store. I kind of bee-lined back there to take a look. I remember that I couldn'twait to nurse in there some day. I even bought a nursing bra inanticipation of the day!

My son came a hot day in October and I couldn't wait to get into BabymoonBoutique to shop-till-I-dropped! I went in one day with my son andremembered the back room. Even though it wasn't time for him to eat, I hadto nurse him just to use the room! It was so relaxing and felt so perfect!I will never forget the way he looked and the way I felt.

Unfortunately nursing didn't work out with my son. We were only able tonurse for 9 weeks due to issues out of our control. I was sorelydisappointed. I think every mom anticipates this perfect nursingexperience. Mine didn t turn out that way. I mourned the loss deeply.

One day last month I went into Babymoon for a swaddle blanket that would fitthe needs of my tall son! I saw the back room! I had completely forgotabout it! I slowly walked back there and this perfect flood of emotionscame over me! I reflected back on a special time that a silly room in theback of a children's boutique gave to my son and me. I couldn t believe howI felt standing there remembering. Babymoon has given me a priceless gift;a nostalgic memory that fills me with warmth. Thanks to a perfect littleroom I will always remember that perfect day, the perfect way my son lookedat me, and the perfect intimacy I felt with him.

3 comments:

Ferris Family said...

what a nice essay.

Keith and Kathryn said...

No wonder you won...what beautiful sentiments! :)

Beth said...

Congratulations! How exciting :) What kind of store is this? Is it consigment? Clothes? It sounds wonderful!!